- 20 Million Surfers Worldwide (Approximate # in 2007)
How Surfing Influences Lives of Surfers
- Life Choices
- Career Choices
- Residence and living location decisions
- Work schedules
- University & College choices
- “Surf Spots” are considered ‘Natural Cultural Resources’ according to the National Environmental Policy Act
Estimated expenditures to local businesses, including fuel and food add $40.16 per surfer per surf session to the coastal economy at Trestles Beach, California (in Lazarow et al., 2007).
- 90% of Australia’s population is located in the coastal zone.
- 16% of Western Australia’s population surfs. (300,000 Surfers in WA)
- More than a recreational pursuit – surfing is a sub culture within Australia’s Society